Chunky knits are cosy and warm and ideal companions between transitions of seasons like in spring or autumn as you can mix them effortlessly with lighter materials. However, they are not easy to style.
Our girl Claudia Schiffer shows us how to do effortless chic with chunky knits:
Layer chunky knits over delicate materials such as silk. Especially cute over dresses teamed with a skirt and millefleur blouses.
Chunky knits can appear voluminous – compensate with Skinny Jeans and Boots like Claudia and don’t forget a belt to define the waist.
Accessorize wisely: Chunky knits are a bold statement – so keep accessoires to a minimum like Claudia with a silk scarf in the same colour rang as the rest of her outfit.
Mix n Match: I’m wearing a scarf / poncho from Italian knit expert Stefanel over my leather jacket. Tweed skirt from Stefanel. leather jacket from Massimo Dutti.
Pleated dresses are the perfect complement to this season’s femine shapes, delicate fabrics and pastel colours.
Claudia Schiffer spices up her dainty dress with a wide, red hot belt.
Bianca Balti wears a powder pink Plisse dress with a small belt to accentuate her waist in the current parfum campaign for Salvatore Ferragamo.
Lemon yellow plissé blouse from Tara Jarmon.
Plissé dress from Bottega Veneta
Petit four pink pleated skirt from Benetton
Our girl Claudia looks fantastic for her age (41) and she says this is all down to good genes as her mother is blessed with very good skin too. However, Claudia has also been using good quality anti-ageing creams ever since she started out as a model (aged just 18). Here are some of Claudia’s beauty tips:
– Change face creams every three months. Never use the same brand for too long, as your skin gets used to one brand, and it’s benefits will decrease with time.
– Favourite face cream brands: Decleor and Sisley
– Favourite body creams: Organic brand Weleda
– Hair secrets: Every three weeks Claudia gets her naturally dark blonde hair dyed at French hairdresser Christophe Robin.
– Cosmetic must-haves: Mascara and concealer
– Water: Spritz Evian spray on your face to freshen up the face as tap water can be very hard in cities (London!)
– Her sins: Marzipan and Italian red wine such as Sassicaia and Ornellaia
Where I come from in Germany (Berlin), people would laugh at me for wearing a Dirndl in public, assuming I’m attending a fancy dress party. The Dirndl is a traditional dress that has got it’s roots in rural areas of Southern Germany and in the Alpes of Austria and Switzerland. In recent years however, the Dirndl has become hugely popular, even for tourists to wear at the Oktoberfest.
I love the Dirndl for being so hugely flattering to a woman’s figure: Emphasizing the bust, nipped in waist, flared skirt. These days, modern Dirndls come in all sorts of shapes, colours, lengths and materials.
Evening Dirndls are hand made out of finest fabrics such as silk, tafetta, brocade and can cost up to 1,000 Euros.
“Wash Dirndls” (like the one I am wearing in the picture) can be washed in the washing machine and you can get them for under 50 EUR. They are great if you just want to wear a Dirndl once, for example at the October Fest.
The Munich sister Duo Marie Darouiche and Rahmee Wetterich design very unique Dirndls: African prints used on the traditional Bavarian cut. The sisters grew up in Cameroun and their love for Africa and details is epitomised in their beautiful designs. The fabrics are sourced from Paris, Africa and Bavaria. The pics speak for themselves, have a browse on their website where you can shop for Dirndls are even have one made to measure:
Triumph launched this “Dirndl bra” = A Balconette shaped bra complete with a spotted, lacy Dirndl Blouse to wear underneath your Dirndl.
Our girl Claudia in a traditional Bavarian dress
Salma Hayek looks great!
Right, it’s easy for Ines de la Fressange to say that white jeans are an indispensible basic of every fashion wardrobe, since she has endless legs like a gazelle! However for us girls next door, with our imperfect, but fairly skinny legs, the look can still work if we remember the following:
- Buy white jeans in a flattering boot cut, made out of stretchy material and never too tight
- Combine white jeans with flat shoes, wedges or sandals, not high heels, to avoid a trashy look
- Lenght: the best lenght for this look is ankle length (see Kate Middleton in the picture)
- Any colour top goes with white but make sure the it’s not too short or revealing, this can scream “trailerpark”
Below: Myself and fellow Londoners Claudia Schiffer, Kate Middleton and Liz Hurley in white Jeans.
Ines de la Fressange hat gut Reden, dass sie die weiße Jeans zum unerlässlichen Basic jedes Kleiderschrankes erhebt, schließlich hat sie endlose Gazellenbeine! Allerdings auch für uns Normalo girls sind weiße Jeans tragbar, wenn wir diese Regeln beachten:
- Am besten sehen weiße Jeans im vorteilhaften Boot cut aus, aus stretchigem Material, aber niemals zu eng!
- Kombiniere weiße Jeans mit flachen Schuhen, Keilabsatz oder Sandalen, NIE mit High Heels, dass kann schnell billig aussehen
- Länge: Die beste Länge für diesen Look ist Knöchellange, siehe Kate Middleton im Bild unten
- Zu weiß passt jede Farbe Top, allerdings sollte es nicht zu kurz oder zu freizügig sein, wir sind ja nicht im Trailerpark
And the winner is……The ballet pump, of course!
They are not only the preferred choice of Parisians http://romantiqueandrebel.com/?p=585 but also of our favourite German girl, the distinguished Claudia Schiffer! I can’t help but think that very high heels, like often worn by Heidi Klum, look cheap on her, especially paired with a short mini skirt.
Pretty Ballerinas have been my favourite choice of flats for years. Mainly because they are not just the most comfortable ones (inner leather sole and a robust rubber sole for the winter models), but they are also the most flattering on the foot, making the foot look elegant and long. You can choose from literally hundreds of models for every occasion from elegant, to corporate to casual and quirky. They do come with an expensive price tag but they are definitely worth every penny. They’re durable and last for years if cared for, and do not lose their shape like many other ballet shoes (i.e. French sole!).
Es kommt nicht von ungefähr, dass viele Frauen ein wenig Bardot sein wollen. Claudia Schiffer ist ein einzigartiges Über-Model aber wir wollen eigentlich nicht wie Claudia Schiffer sein, wir deutschen Frauen sind es ja schon – meist eher reserviert, distanziert, diszipliniert, kontrolliert. Ich kann mich nicht erinnern, einmal ein Photo von La Schiffer gesehen zu haben, wo sie herzhaft lacht. Die sogenannten typischen deutschen Eigenschaften sind erstrebenswert für unser Berufsleben aber weniger geeignet für unser Privatleben – ein bißchen mehr von französischer Leichtigkeit gegenüber dem Leben á la BB kann uns nicht schaden. Wie schrieb BB selbst: “Man muss von den guten Dingen profitieren, nichts bedauern oder bereuen, geradeaus stehen und die Freichheit haben, zu sich zu stehen.” Versuchen wir es, weil wir uns es wert sind – ha,ha!